By 2050 some 74% of the global population are predicted to live in an urban environment. Many envision 35m² which is the same size as a boxing ring, will be the average living space per person. That is not too shabby actually, but food preparation and preservation are expected to change rather drastically. Here are 8 concepts that provide a glimpse of the future, presented by the 2010 edition of the Electrolux Design Lab competition which focuses on creative solutions for compact living. All 8 finalists will be judged on the 23rd September at 100% Design, Earls Court London.
1. The Kitchen Hideaway, Daniel Dobrogorsky, Australia
2. The Snail, Peter Alwin, India – Micro Induction Heating
3. Elements Modular Kitchen, Matthew Gilbride, USA – All-In-One Kitchen Shelving
4. Bio Robot Refrigerator, Yuriy Dmitriev, Russia – Cool, Green, Food Preservation
5. Clean Closet, Michael Edenius, Sweden – All in One Laundry Concept
6. Dismount Washer, Lichen Guo, China – Wash & Go Laundry
7. External Refrigerator, Nicolas Hubert, France – External Cooling
8. Eco Cleaner, Ahi Andy Mohsen, Iran – the Portable, Compact Dishwasher
Finally, Electrolux wants your opinion. You can vote for your favourite Electrolux Design Lab 2010 concept here. If you want to get the very first glance of the physical concept models and live in UK or happened to be there right now, you can drop by John Lewis department store, 300 Oxford Street till the 22nd of September.
Popularity: 10% [?]